Thursday, June 16, 2011

Part 1- What was your story really about?

I am a total ranter when it comes to things that irritate me, so I have to start another rant. This one, people forgetting what the hell their story was about.
I have read several wonder fanfics that absolutely draw my curiosity out. There are so many things going on that I just love to think about the different things going on. But it becomes too much. I think once the initial plot has been resolved the story should be over. Any other thing you have going on can be in a sequel or a completely different fic. The main problem is that people don't take their title into consideration. They make the title because it is required to start the story, but they haven't thought the plot out enough to realize it doesn't match the story at all. A story about two people that hate each other and falling in love turns into a fight for recognition for their love from their parents. That is all fine and dandy, for a sequel.
If you haven't thought of how your story is going and you know it is straying a little, LOOK AT YOUR FUCKING TITLE! Go back and reread your forward to see if there was anything you gave out that you don't remember. Scan through your, or better yet, RE-FREAKING-READ the ENTIRE thing to see if there was anything you missed. (I read a fic in a few hours and commented about something the author never brought up when it was important to the story. They had really forgotten it. Now that they have been reminded of it the story could change and they have something to write about since they are currently suffering from writers block)
Don't just create a whole different plot and lose sight of what it was really about. You don't have to know how the story is going to end, but at least try not to make it seem like the ending will completely differ from the beginning. Yeah, stories usually have a change, but some things are going too far with your changing. My example that has come purely from my imagination.
The story is called 'My gangster boyfriend.' The boy in question is in a gang. He meets a the main girl and they fall in love, but she is afraid to date a gangster so she makes him quit. He leaves the gang and they live a happy life together finishing high school. The end. But! His brother comes into the picture and suddenly falls for her as well and they get into a  big arguement that ends with the girl being in the hospital in a coma and her boyfriend hating his brother. Brother leaves because none of the readers like him. Happy again.THEN  the girl has an incurable disease and the guys has to choice between his love for her or his love for basketball. In the end he goes off to medical school to heal her and becomes a successful doctor, marrying to first person he cured, the main girl. They have such a wonderful life together.  AND her kids start having fights together and their marriage starts to fall into shambles and he dies in a car accident. They lived not so happily ever after.
Who else thought that didn't fit the title at all? That is exactly my point for this part of my rant.
There should be a flow in your story that matches the ending, some initial thing that links the two. A character looking back at how they changed, a journal, or even just a place that had appeared in the beginning. If there is a link it shows how much things really have changed. If that tree was there when you were three then it will be there when you are 19 and dating your favorite idol. I don't mind. I can understand. Just don't burn down the forest before that.
I am so mad at a fic I am reading now that I HAVE TO make a rant about characters, things making sense, and times. I'll rant more when I become angry again...

No comments:

Post a Comment