Thursday, June 16, 2011

Part 3-I will POV your eyes out

I have to rant about the fucked up use of POVs. Point of Views. Let's take the time to correct our ways, before I blind someone.
The following is something I have created on my own completely at random without even looking at another fanfic. If it sounds even remotely like yours and you get mad at me, your story sucked dick and not in a good way. This is purely an example, don't take it the wrong way.
*Quick, think of a name... I'll just go with random names from random groups.*
(Eunhyuk's POV)
I stared at him, angrily with anger and stupid medicine not working. Why couldn't he just leave me alone? He was always mocking me with his stupid face and makes me angry... The way he rubs it in that he is better, when I know in my heart I will always be the best. He thinks he can win over me? He'll just have to think again! I am always the victor in these games, just you wait, Lee Donghae!1
(End POV2)
(Nobodies POV/ author's POV/ 3rd Person POV/ my POV? narrator's POV)3
Eunhyuk sipped his coffee angrily, chugging the bitter taste down as he watched with equal distaste. That man, Donghae, had been serving him bad tasting coffee ever since he moved into town. He was stealing his girls, and he was stealing his coffee shop, the never that guy. Eunhyuk wasn't going to take this mistreatment for much longer, he would get revenge. He stood from his seat and carried his half empty/ half full cup o' Joe and walked to the counter where the young man was taking payment from another customer. Eunhyuk smirked, knowing what he was going to do.
"Yah, Fish head! Why does my coffee taste so bad?"
(End POV)
(Sunny's POV)
"Yah, Fish head! Why does my coffee taste so bad?"4 I turned around angrily at the voice that called my  coffee badMy barrister skills were top notch. This man, monkey man has no class. He can go back to drinking his stupid instant coffee for all I care!
"Suck it! If you don't like it you can -" I shut up right there because I see the most gorgeous man on this planet. I let his name echo in my head, he was actually here! Oh Jonghyun, why are you here and haunting my thoughts again. Nobody pinch me, because I never want to wake from this dream.
(End POV)
5I hope she didn't notice me, I don't want her to think I am a stalker.I'm here all the time, but I hide in the corners because I am such a freak. There are so many things I want to say to her, but nothing will compare to that time we had before.
(Flashback7)
Blah blah blah, my stupid example ends here.

Ignoring the plot, did anyone else hate the POV problem there? I think the author *me* was too ADHD and couldn't focus on one person. That story skipped around so much I still wasn't sure what the hell the plot was. My only link between the different actions was the coffee(shop) and sad feelings.
I said in my last rant (go check part 2 in my bog, it is all about characters) that characters need to be developed, and clearly those weren't. Each character was immature and that is not how a POV should be. As the author you aren't the character and you don't think like the main character, I hope. Thinking like the character and making their POV sound like an original person makes the story BELIEVABLE! When writing in 1st person (me, my, I, myself) there should ALWAYS be deeper emotions. Write it like IT IS YOU! That is you that feels that pain. Relate your pain to the person's POV and turn that into something brilliant. People don't even try to make that connection and turn their 20+ characters into little 12 year olds. I know, some of us are 12, but can we at least have normal aged characters? *Oh my god, I am stuck in the Character rant from earlier!* 1st person means things feelings should be described more in depth because a character as the narrator verses the author should have more of a hold on their own feelings. Struggles, happiness, sadness, even anger should be shown in 1st POV. I'm not saying to put "I am sad because she won't look at me" in every paragraph, but put something that makes it seem like it is actually from their POV and not just you putting "I" instead of their name. "Her eyes glazed over the crowd and locked onto mine with ease. Our locks were different. I wanted to open this door between us and she had it shut tightly with no hope of revealing her secrets. Why does she hide from me? Am I not worthy of her presence? She turned back to the crowd and lifted the microphone to sing her answers to my dying soul."
I think this really ties to my last rant, 1st person means that the character is more developed and has deeper thoughts. 1st person shouldn't sound like a diary entry.*unless the fic is a diary, but I swear I haven't written anything that light since I was 8* Most fics the people are in high school right? How did you act in high school? Or how do you act now and add a little maturity to that if you aren't quite there yet. (Just throwing that out there, but In South Korea high school starts in 10th grade. That would be 15 right? But Koreans add a year to their age so they would really be 16 their freshman year and 19 when they graduate. Still, the maturity levels are the same.
Now to get to those things I pointed out in that little... story?
  1. It is pretty much pointless to make a POV for only one paragraph *or two, but one shows it better... or any under like 5!* That really shows NO character depth and is there a filler for readers. I feel bad about this, but I skip those little paragraphs because there is no point to them.  A lot of times they don't even make sense or even help the plot of the story. Authors think they help the story by providing hidden information, but most readers look between the lines. One story I read had a big reveal, "I love him, I think" in the last few chapters and had already figured that out when they fucking introduced the characters in the forward. I guess this is going into writing styles, but did we not alreay know that? And shows how much a thinker they are, they couldn't even think of another way to say it. There wasn't a "no matter how much you hurt me, I will always come back to you." or something along those lines. Save those things for dialogue.(which is definitely next on my list)  So, one paragraph POV, anywhere, but especially at the very end of a chapter, are no nos
  2. End POV is needed necessarily, you can just move onto another person to show that is no longer them talking. It's not really a big deal to me, but I find it annoying that half the chapter is the switching of POVs between people.
  3. I didn't put a foot note there, but this is an issue there, the difference between the 3rd POVs. Nobodies POV sounds immature and should NEVER be used, because it is someone's POV, just not anyone in a story. Author's POV can be used, but it makes it seem like the author is the one telling the story when it should be a narrative not authored story... get that. The author isn't in the story, they weren't there, they can't be there relaying the events that they didn't see. The author simply wrote the story, they weren't there unless it is a autobiography, in which case it would be a 1st person anyway. That is the same for My POV, you weren't there, and a lot of stories are you stories where it is your POV and thoughts. My should never be used because readers start thinking it is about them. Narrator's POV shouldn't really be used either, unless the narrator is really in the story, but they never appear, like the story is being told by someone about someone else. Narrators are the main characters in stories most of the time, so don't do that, it would be 1st Person again. The one that really needs to be used is 3rd (person) POV. That means the use of "her, his, their, somebody." The only "I's mine, me, you (for 2nd)" would be in dialogue. *my next one indefinitely!* 3rd is used to describe more than one person. With POV it isn't really a good idea to switch between 3rd and 1st (or between characters for that matter) It should stay from one person's POV whether it be the authors words or the main character's. Too many switches are confusing to readers.  
  4. I had something to say about Sunny's POV, but I forgot, so all I will say is NEVER REPEAT SOMETHING THAT HAS JUST BEEN SAID IN ANOTHER POV!  I want to poke *stab* people's eyes out when they do that! It's as if we didn't just read it two seconds ago! "What did they just say? Oh, well it is repeated so it is all good!" That should only be done at the beginning of a chapter when repeating something at the end of the previous one! The worst is when every character does that for one paragraph each person repeats that little line and they all fuck up the story so bad. That is the worst filler possible, and I will shoot your eyes out for making me read that. No, I don't read it, I skip every little repeat. *I also skip characters I don't like* Get creative! Most of the time the character feel the same way anyway, because YOUR FUCKING CHARACTERS AREN'T DEVELOPED! I never want to hear a phrase repeated, because it is mostly dialogue. *I am going to murder that rant next*
  5. Why do people forget to put who's POV it is? Especially at the beginning of chapters. They expect us to tell whose (fuck, whose or who's?) POV by character traits, but I am telling you, NONE OF YOU CAN MAKE DECENT CHARACTERS! You better put who is thinking or I will stab you in the eye, maybe in the nose if you do it too many times. Readers can't read minds, tell us who is the fuck thinking!
  6. Oh my gosh who are you and who are you talking ABOUT? We will never know if you stay in your stupid diary poetic language form from Mars. Tell us the fucking name of the girl or I will forever lable you as a faggot. *I haven't had any food yet today, sorry*
  7. And finally, flashbacks. They aren't POV so why am I mentioning them? Because they are pretty much the same thing. I frankly don't like it when Flashbacks are pointed out. Here on AFF we should be able to italicize the flashbacks, put them in apostrophes and change their color. Do we really need to be told? If there was a good enough leading sentence like, "Looking back, I never was a good friend." Or even just a double space it would be fine. I see flashback and I go, "Flashbacks, you ass, can't you just relay it to me in presnt time? Give me a summary of what happened, I don't have to go back in time!" And I skip the entire flashback. It works out anyway, everything gets explained later. Shows how much things are repeated from everybody's stupid POV.

I think my last point will be that people like to skip different POVs of characters they don't like. They'll skip entire portions of a story because they just DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM. Make A SEQUEL! Only the main characters should get their POV. Not the antagonist. Nobody wants to read the plots going on in their heads, they know they are there and they want to be surprised. Nobody wants to read about the antagonist being hurt with their unrequited love, don't make them feel guilty for a person they don't even like. KEEP THE EXTRAS OUT. Think about who the characters want to connect to. With all the I's they start to pick little bits of their life out and make those connections. Readers like to say, I feel that way too, or I would do that as well. Who wants to know they would act like a bitch and are just the worst person possible.
Just think about it a little and try to understand who your readers want to read about. Their favorite idol, or the rival's love?

No comments:

Post a Comment